Saturday, November 10, 2007

Today's Service: Landmark

For the first time, I was able to participate in some of the prayers.  Some of this was because I'd heard the melodies and the words enough to feel confident in saying them.  Another part was because the woman who was sitting next to me was nice enough to show me where the transliterated versions of the songs were in the siddur.
I really want to learn the Hebrew, though.  It will mean more when I actually know what I'm saying.  At the moment, I feel like my prayers are slightly less effective, because even though I have a basic idea of what we're saying, it's still kind of gibberish to me.

For a Reform congregation, we use a lot of Hebrew, and I like it.  It makes me feel connected to the ancient tradition.  I also really love the idea of being able to read the Bible in its original language, so I don't have to rely on interpreting somebody else's interpretation of the text.
I'll get there.

No comments: