Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Havdallah Hooray!

I ordered a really cool Havdallah set online a while back.  It seems like forever ago.  I finally got it today, and I'm so very excited.  It's really beautiful.  It's made of wood, painted blue with pomegranates and grapes.  The pieces stack to make something that resembles a vase.  The bottom part is the Havdallah candle holder, the kiddush cup fits in an opening on the top, and then there's a piece that goes on top of that which is a spice jar on one side and if you flip it over, it holds your Shabbat candles.  I think it's really cleverly designed.

I'm going to use it this weekend.  I won't be able to attend services, which is a bummer, but I'm also going to be celebrating a pretty proper Shabbat.  I'll probably end up breaking the carrying rule, and I might have to start a fire, but I won't be doing anything that I consider work.  I know that I don't set halacha, but that's good enough for me right now.  After work on Friday, I'm driving out to my parents' house, picking up their dog and some camping supplies, and then I'll go up near Denali for the weekend.  It's going to be nice, I think.  I hope.  I'll have a couple books to read, a dog that likes to go hiking, and some fairly unspoiled wilderness to enjoy it in.

No comments: