Thursday, October 18, 2007

Holiday Cards

I decided that this year, I really am going to send out cards.  I've been meaning to do it for the past couple years, but...just didn't get it done.
In my defense, I wanted to write little personal notes in each, but it was too ambitious, too time consuming.  Time is not something I have a lot of these days.
Lately, I've been taking a lot of pictures.  It started when I got a smartphone, and I discovered that I could take pictures and email them to flickr, right from my phone.  I started a flickr page then and there.  Because I am who I am, I ended up getting more ambitious and bought a nice digital camera and started going to town with the photos.  They all end up on that flickr page.

Because almost every picture I take gets posted, I needed to upgrade to a pro account, and when I did that, they gave me some free mini-cards.  From there I got the idea to make a bunch of notecards with one of my photos, and send them to my family and friends.
Then I had an even better idea: there's a company who will print your custom cards, and even mail them out for you.  Sweet.  
Just one problem:  I needed a good photo.  All of mine are of things that I've seen lately and places that I've been.  And my cat.  None of them were really any good for a holiday card, so I had a bit of a photoshoot today.

My inspiration was kind of a deconstructed menorah.  I took 9 candles, and arranged them on my coffee table.  I tried to take pictures of them from different angles, but there wasn't much that I could do with my pretty distinct lack of talent.  I did take some other shots with fewer candles, but I really hope that one of my "menorah" pictures works out.  I feel like that would be a good compromise and transition between my two holidays.  Plus, I really don't want the message of my "Christmas" card to be "Hi.  I'm Jewish now".  It's just not the time or the place for that, especially for my mom.

All I want is a pretty card that lets my family know that I love them and that I think about them.

No comments: