Saturday, October 27, 2007

Today's Service: Meditation

The following was included in the Siddur (prayer book) for today.  I thought it was beautiful.
Our synagogue uses "Gates of Prayer", and it's found on page 376.

Pray as if everything depended on God, and act as if everything depended on you.

Master of the universe, grant me the ability to be alone:
may it be my custom to go outdoors each day,
among the trees and grasses, among the growing things,
there to be alone and enter into prayer.

There may I express my heart
talking with Him to whom I belong.

And may all grasses, trees, and plants
awake at my coming,

Send the power of their life into my prayer,
making whole my heart and speech
through the life and spirit of growing things,
made whole my their transcended Source.

O that they would enter into prayer!
Then would I fully open my heart
in prayer, supplication, and holy speech;
then, O God, would I pour out the words
of my heart before Your presence.

No comments: