Monday, October 8, 2007

My Mom

As I mentioned in my previous post, my mom is a devout Christian.
She kind of expects me to be one, too.
I think this is partially because she basically became a Christian in order to facilitate, and later to encourage, my faith.  I encouraged her in hers, as well.

One of the most difficult things for me in considering conversion is trying to figure out how to tell her.  Christianity has been a big part of our relationship, because many of the things that we've done together, just the two of us, were somehow related to religion.

I've been trying to break it to her slowly, giving her hints along the way.  I'll mention a Jewish tradition that I've recently learned.  I told her that my Bible study has been, for the past six months, strictly Old Testament.

Well, I just got off the phone with her.

We were talking about my work schedule, and I mentioned that I usually work on Sunday mornings, because most of my co-workers want that time off.  She said that I should ask for more Sunday mornings, so I can go to church.  I used that opportunity to tell her that I go on Saturdays now.  Naturally, she wanted to know where, and what kind of church it was.  

I didn't tell her about the conversion class yet.  I think it might be too much.  And, seeing as it only started three days ago and will last for about a year, there's time.  Still, I feel like I made an important step today.  It felt very natural, and, to be honest, it was a relief.

No comments: